From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:59:48
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 01-08-2011 08:31, Eray Aslan wrote:
6 >
7 >> On 2011-08-01 10:23 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> that's my impression now too since nobody has managed to provide
10 >>> useful case for separate /usr, or they have been very vague
11 >>>
12 >> I will switch if I have to but saying / and /usr on the same
13 >> filesystem is the better technical solution just annoys me.
14 >>
15 >> I understand if going against upstream and keeping them seperate is
16 >> not worth the hassle and noone steps up to do it. But then we should
17 >> say so. Please don't kid yourself (or others).
18 >>
19 > I agree with Eray. Furthermore, please stop trying to reverse "the
20 > game". It's those that want to break existing policies and conventions
21 > that have to justify why they want to do that, not those that want to
22 > keep using what has worked for years. You may not need or like it, but I
23 > want to be able to use partition schemes like the following without
24 > needing to use an initramfs:
25 >
26 > /dev/md4 /boot
27 > /dev/md2 /
28 > /dev/sda1 swap
29 > /dev/sdb1 swap
30 >
31 > /dev/vg/home /home
32 > /dev/vg/usr /usr
33 > /dev/vg/portage /usr/portage
34 > /dev/vg/distfiles /usr/portage/distfiles
35 > /dev/vg/var /var
36 > /dev/vg/vtmp /var/tmp
37 > /dev/vg/www /var/www
38 > /dev/vg/repos /home/repositories
39 > /dev/vg/release /home/release
40 >
41 > Also, desktop users that don't split the /usr path might not like the
42 > "stress" that /usr/portage will add to the / partition - not to talk
43 > about the size and inode constraints.
44 >
45 > With the above design, I have on a system the following disk space use:
46 >
47 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
48 > rootfs 9,4G 262M 8,7G 3% /
49 >
50 > I'm growing tired of how complex and over-designed desktop technologies
51 > that hide stuff from the users keep trying to break the "unix way" and
52 > convince us they're "awesome". No, I don't need or want *kit, groups
53 > exist for something. No, applications that do "magic stuff" with dbus
54 > and xml (and I like xml) on the users back and hide how X work aren't a
55 > "good thing(tm)".
56 >
57 > Finally, Gentoo's init system is and will likely be for a long time
58 > openrc, so stop trying to push crazy or experimental init systems - most
59 > with a seemingly "poor design" and unable to do what an init system
60 > needs to do (start and stop services).
61 >
62 > - --
63 > Regards,
64 >
65 > Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
66 > Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng
68 > Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)
69 > Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
72 As a user, I have /usr/portge on a separate partition as well. I was
73 also planning to have a separate /usr partition soon when I redo my
74 drive layout. It sounds like Gentoo is telling me I no longer have that
75 option without having a initramfs. I guess I will have to decide
76 whether I want to add one more thing to break to have a separate /usr or
77 leave /usr on the / partition.
78
79 I thought Gentoo was about choices? It seems one choice is being
80 removed or is it?
81
82 Dale
83