From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecation of virtual/libmysqlclient and virtual/mysql as providers for libmysqlclient.so
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 12:26:18
1 On 7/24/2018 12:44 AM, David Seifert wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 14:18 -0400, Brian Evans wrote:
3 >> With the current state of the forks of MySQL diverging, the client
4 >> libraries are no longer compatible.
5 >>
6 >> Since virtual packages cannot handle rebuilds of subscribed packages
7 >> when a consumer changes, the following action is to be taken by all
8 >> developers:
9 >>
10 >> If you need libmysqlclient.so, please depend on dev-db/mysql-
11 >> connector-c.
12 >> If you need or can use libmariadb.so, please depend on
13 >> dev-db/mariadb-connector-c.
14 >>
15 >> (Yes the above packages coexist just fine.)
16 >>
17 >> Please remove references to virtual/libmysqlclient as it does not
18 >> work
19 >> as I intended (and explained above). This virtual will be last-rites
20 >> once nothing depends on it.
21 >>
22 >> Please remove all DEPEND on virtual/mysql where it is used for
23 >> libraries.
24 >> virtual/mysql is the client and server tools *only*.
25 >> It is not correct to rely on this for libraries any longer.
26 >> A good example for DEPEND is tests where the client/server binaries
27 >> are run.
28 >> RDEPEND for the purpose of running client/server is fine for
29 >> virtual/mysql.
30 >>
31 >> Almost all of the consumers of virtual/mysql have already been
32 >> updated
33 >> (save mysql-cluster). Some are already stable.
34 >>
35 >> At a point in the future, likely in 2019, the compatibility DEPEND
36 >> that
37 >> exist in the consumers will be removed and may break packages which
38 >> are
39 >> not updated.
40 >>
41 >> In the coming months, I will try my best to test and report bugs on
42 >> packages which I can find.
43 >>
44 >> I welcome any discussion on the details, but this is the only sane
45 >> move
46 >> for Gentoo and the ABI incompatibilities that exist on the client
47 >> libraries.
48 >>
49 >> Thank you,
50 >>
51 >> Brian Evans
54 > How do you plan on dispatching against them at compile/link-time, i.e.
55 > USE=libav/graphicsmagick/libressl?
56 >
57 > David
60 If a maintainer wishes to have a USE flag to link to libmariadb, that's
61 up to them.
62
63 Use of mariadb-connector-c may need patching (for mariadb_config or
64 mariadb.pc) or build options to look at the other library. This may be
65 beneficial for licensing purposes (GPL-2 vs LGPL-2.1)
66
67 If such a flag is popular enough, then a global description can be
68 agreed upon.
69
70 Brian