From: Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Git migration - Handling Pull Requests (Was: clean cut or git-cvsserver)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:02:52
1 On Thursday, May 24, 2012 05:00:49 PM Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
2 > This gets us into another topic altogether.
3 >
4 > I do believe git pull-requests should go through Bugzilla. A
5 > pull-request is the equivalent to bump requests, patch fixes, and all
6 > sorts of stuff that we already handle through Bugzilla. Bugzilla also
7 > contains our history.
8
9 This discussion was sort of in the context of proxy-maintainers. A pull
10 request isn't equivalent to a bump request or entirely overlapping with most
11 bugs that go through bugzilla. A pull request is just "here take my code", or
12 is useful for code revewing just because it integrates with the git workflow. I
13 suppose you would have to define the sorts of things that should go through
14 Bugzilla. I can't imagine it being reasonable to use github for most types of
15 bump requests.
16
17 > If they happen to be needing to be pulled from github, that's fine.
18 > Definitely convenient for the contributor.
19 >
20 > We'll also need to clearly document how the pull-request is to be
21 > generated. (I vote for requiring signed pull-requests. [1])
22 >
23 > github should not be our central point of contact. We have b.g.o for
24 > that. github should be on the fringes as a tool that we can use if we
25 > want to.
26
27 This reminds me of Linus' old Google talk on Git in which He said something
28 along the lines of: "Many companies using Git internally don't know they're
29 using git - they're using it whether they like it or not". There are ALREADY
30 Gentoo projects using github and even pull requests. It doesn't really matter
31 because everything more or less comes back to one point in the end. It's the
32 repo that's the history of the project, not bugzilla. I've "filed" more bugs
33 over IRC and had them fixed in the tree within 60 seconds than I have gone
34 through bugzilla formalisms. FWIW, I think having the entire tree in one big
35 repo is a bad idea to begin with.
36
37 But ok it's a good point. Github isn't a good central point of contact. People
38 have to use their discression. It's just uncommon these days for a project as
39 big as Gentoo to have ultra-centralized corporate-style procedures where
40 everything happens exclusively though official channels. And anyway you couldn't
41 "enforce" that sort of thing if you tried.
42
43 > [1]
44 > http://git-blame.blogspot.com.ar/2012/01/using-signed-tag-in-pull-requests.h
45 > tml