From: Riyad Kalla <rsk@×××××××××××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Discussion for new use-flag: dvdr
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:09:47
1 Makes sense to me, especially since these dvd writers are starting to
2 get so affordable (read: the new plextor is $259 @ newegg)
3
4 -Riyad
5
6 Lars Weiler wrote:
7
8 > Hi,
9 >
10 > I would like to hear your opinions about a new global
11 > USE-flag for DVD-writing, called dvdr.
12 >
13 > We just ran into the problem, that we have USE-flags for cdr
14 > and dvd, but both won't fit DVD-writing. The dvd-USE-flag
15 > is mostly for DVD-readonly-usage. So, if we use the
16 > dvd-USE-flag together with cdrtools or xcdroast, a huge
17 > number of users would install to much software and only a
18 > small number of users could benefit from them.
19 >
20 > For the moment we have two packages that would make use of
21 > a dvdr-USE-flag:
22 > - cdrtools
23 > - xcdroast
24 >
25 > Maybe there are more applications I don't know of, but
26 > mostly they are directly based on the cdrtools.
27 >
28 > At the moment there is a fork of the cdrtools in portage,
29 > called cdrtools-dvdr. This package would become deprecated
30 > with a dvdr-USE-flag as it is the same like the cdrtools,
31 > but with a special patch for DVD-writing. This could be
32 > better handled by a USE-flag.
33 >
34 > Regards, Lars
35 >