From: "Michał Górny" <gentoo@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The /etc/portage/env profile.bashrc hack
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 20:42:26
1 Hello,
2
3 I would like to raise a discussion on the topic of the /etc/portage/env
4 files support hack, implemented in the profile.bashrc file in gx86 base
5 profile [1].
6
7 I am working on the portage-side implementation of the feature and I
8 would like to avoid double-sourcing of the override files. Although
9 that could be implemented through checking for the existence of new
10 Portage private variable, which would be used to pass the override
11 directory path to the bash part of Portage, I would rather see the hack
12 removed ASAP.
13
14 Why? Because it should never had been added there in the first place.
15 It is not only a hack -- it is a hack silently changing the behaviour
16 of all package managers out there (assuming they source profile.bashrc)
17 for all users.
18
19 The hack bypasses the whole concept of PM package stabilization - it
20 'injects' the bash code into every version of Portage, pkgcore
21 and Paludis (I guess). A code targeted at Portage, I'd add.
22
23 And it is poorly documented too. I wasted a lot of time trying to find
24 the code related to the feature in the Portage code and searching for
25 some references before I realized that thing has nothing to do with
26 Portage source code!
27
28 To sum up, I think that the hack should be removed ASAP -- even before
29 Portage starts supporting the feature the 'correct' way. It could be
30 temporarily replaced with a check for existence of '/etc/portage/env'
31 directory, printing a short warning that the hack has been disabled
32 and user should either wait for Portage release supporting the feature
33 (or upgrade his Portage version, if the removal is going to happen
34 after the related rc-release) or implement it /etc/portage/bashrc-side.
35
36 [1]
37 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/base/profile.bashrc?view=markup
40 Best regards,