From: Braden <gentoo@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] /etc/gconf better off under /usr/share ?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:09:09
1 In a nutshell: Why is the gconf directory hierarchy under /etc and not
2 under /usr/share?
3
4 /etc/gconf seems a bit out of place to me relative to the other things
5 in /etc. For one, it is quite large comparatively. This is because the
6 localized strings for all supported languages are stored there. This
7 brings up the point of why locale-specific strings are being stored
8 under /etc, and not under /usr/share. I thought /etc is for
9 configuration files, while /usr/share is for architecture-independent
10 read-only data files, the latter seeming to be what the gconf directory
11 holds.
12
13 The practical reason for this is that I thought the root filesystem was
14 supposed to be pretty lean, but currently, at least on my system,
15 /etc/gconf sticks out like a sore thumb (18M). It is far bigger than
16 the rest of /etc (the rest being 3M).
17
18 Thanks for any comments on this.
19
20 - Braden