From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dirt: To shove under the rug or not shove under the rug? (aka another round of USE_EXPAND)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:10:30
1 On Sep 27, 2005, at 8:44 AM, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 27 September 2005 14:51, Jason Stubbs wrote:
4 >> Variables are _not_ fine. I would think it should be clear to
5 >> everybody by
6 >> now that ebuilds can not pick random things from the computer they
7 >> are
8 >> installing on to define how they will build.
9 >
10 > I still think that to users it shouldn't give a damn about ELIBC,
11 > USERLAND and
12 > KERNEL, as they can just be mislead by thinking that they can
13 > change anything
14 > about that..
15 >
16 > How we can test for and condition dependencies with special
17 > profiles others
18 > than this way?
19
20 [Portage devs please don't throw rocks at me]
21
22 My impression of the userland, elibc, and kernel use expanded vars is
23 it was a quick way to sidestep some of the issues with GLEP22... it
24 would seem the full keywords have still not been taken advantage of.
25 From the ebuild perspective, if the profile has a keyword of x86-
26 fbsd-bsd-fbsd, there is no clean way to just do a conditional based
27 on a 'Keyword Fragment' as there are obviously namespace collisions.
28
29 Ideal to me would be syntax something like:
30
31 kernel !fbsd && foo
32 libc glibc || bar
33 userland darwin && boof
36 Probably not feasible, but seems the cleanest in the context of
37 ebuilds IMHO.
38
39 --Kito
40 --