From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: media-sound/pulseffects "renaming"
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 06:20:38
1 On Tue, 2021-07-13 at 01:01 +0100, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > Officially the new name has only been in effect since version 6.0.0 but
3 > having discussed this with prometheanfire on IRC, it makes sense to
4 > extend the new name to >=5.0.0 - that way people not interested in
5 > switching from plain PulseAudio to PipeWire can continue to use v4
6 > (which according to upstream is now in maintenance mode, i.e. hasn't
7 > been EOLed yet) without having to mask v5 ebuilds.
8 >
9 > It 7 days feels like a reasonable time to wait before dropping
10 > media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.4 from the tree because this news item will
11 > continue to display for affected users even after the ebuild is gone,
12 > won't it.
15 > * * *
18 > Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects
19
20 <ulm mode>The title is too long (50 chars max AFAIR)</ulm mode>
21
22 > Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
23 > Posted: 2021-07-16
24 > Revision: 1
25 > News-Item-Format: 2.0
26 > Display-If-Installed: >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0
27
28 Why not display it to users of all versions?
32 > EasyEffects we have decided to adopt the new name for versions only
33 > supporting media-video/pipewire while retaining the old one for versions
34 > allowing the use of media-sound/pulseaudio.
35 >
36 > media-sound/easyeffects is already available in the tree, and all the
37 > PipeWire-dependent ebuilds of media-sound/pulseeffects will be removed
38 > in 7 days. Therefore, users of >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0 are
39 > asked to emerge media-sound/easyeffects instead.
40
41 I like short but here it seems that you're skipping some essential
42 details and having users guess.
43
44 Maybe start by explaining the current state (I guess something like
45 'pulseeffects versions X use pulseaudio, while versions Y switched to
46 pipewire'?). Then tell people that upstream has decided to rename
47 the project to avoid ambiguity (?). Then make it clear that we are
48 going to split the packages in Gentoo, and one will support PA
49 and the other PW. Finally, tell explicitly what PA and PW users should
50 do, and provide an example emerge snippet (do they need to deselect
51 pulseeffects?).
54 Best regards,
55 Michał Górny