From: Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] dev-rust category
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 19:17:26
1 Hi,
2
3 I have plans to split ?/cargo-bin [1] package from the dev-lang/rust-bin
4 one. We have already dev-rust/cargo package in the rust overlay[2].
5
6 It would be logical to have dev-rust/cargo-bin package then. But there
7 is a problem: it will be the only package in this category in the tree
8 and it is not welcome to have categories with small number of packages.
9 Other rust stuff will appear, but later (with no estimate), as a number
10 of problems with packaging source rust packages should be solved before
11 (afaik upstream also has plans to improve rust packaging). The same
12 about moving source cargo to the tree.
13
14 So what is better, create dev-util/cargo-bin package and later, when
15 rust infrastructure grows, move it to the dev-rust category or create
16 new category now?
17
18 [1] https://crates.io/
19 [2] https://github.com/Heather/gentoo-rust