From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package graveyard
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:57:34
1 On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 19:45, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm forking from a thread on gentoo-project:
5 >
6 > On 17:26 Wed 17 Aug 2011, Markos Chandras wrote:
7 >> Personally, I want to shrink portage. There is no way for 250 listed
8 >> developers ( I would be glad if 100 of us were really active ) to
9 >> maintain thousands of ebuilds.
10 > [...]
11 >> We need to support only the packages that we can *really* support and
12 >> lets hope that more people will join in when they see their packages
13 >> going away.
14 >
15 > I like the idea of shrinking portage, but here's a scenario I'd like to
16 > avoid:
17 >
18 > 1) package A is unmainted, but has a sophistacted ebuild that evolved
19 >  over some time.
20 >
21 > 2) A has an open bug that nobody cares to fix, treecleaners come around
22 > and remove A.
23 >
24 > 3) New dev X joines Gentoo and cares for A and startes to rewrite the
25 > ebuild from scratch.
26 >
27 > Is there a way for X to easily query the portage history and dig up the
28 > ebuild that was there at some point.  She could then use the old ebuild
29 > for their new version, but without efficient search she would probably
30 > start from scratch.  Some packages are treecleaned in the state 'working
31 > but with a single bug (and nobody cares)', it would be good if that
32 > state is somehow retained after the removal.  Then you can get a fully
33 > working package while fixing only one bug.
34 >
35 > Searching through mailing list archives with automatted removal mails
36 > would be my hack, what would be yours?
37 >
38 > Cheers,
39 > Thomas
40
41 We could try removing all keywords and masking ebuilds that are
42 abandoned with bugs but upstream is still active, instead of removing
43 them completely. That way the ebuild will be there when/if someone
44 else decides to take care of the package and it will even show in
45 tools like eix.
48 Alex Alexander | wired
49 + Gentoo Linux Developer
50 ++ www.linuxized.com