From: Alan <alan@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GNOME 2.4 marked stable on x86
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 19:47:04
1 > > > Could I get some testers / comments on it, please?
2
3 Emerging now... .sadly I can't test until I get home tonight.
4
5 > > I think the cdrw-base name might be confusing in the future (we might
6 > > want to add support for dvd (re)writing too.
9 > Well it might be confusing, but right now it does only this, and for
10 > configuration issues like this I would prefer to K I S S instead of
11 > adding support for various other hardware devices in the same
12 > over-reaching configuration package.
13 >
14 > The rationale for that is simply plugability. As it is, this package
15 > will configure the cdrw, and only that. adding dvd-base to configure
16 > dvd for reading (its still commented in devfsd.conf ) and dvd-rw is
17 > another package's job.
18
19 I agree with this... it keeps with the 'only install what you need'
20 gentoo philosophy.
21
22 alan
26 Alan <alan@×××××.org> - http://arcterex.net
28 "There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain
29 climbing. All the others are mere games." -- Hemingway