From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:26:30
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > But in this particular case, I don't think COW is particularly useful.
3 > If it works only on filesystem bounds, we could move the file directly
4 > anyway.
5
6 Yup - I would only use it if you really are doing a copy and not a
7 move (neglecting the fact that the implementation of a
8 cross-filesystem move does a copy first). I imagine many ebuilds do
9 copy operations internally, but probably not to an extent where it
10 would make much difference. I'm not sure how doins/dobin/etc are
11 implemented - I think they're copies and so allowing for the fact that
12 not everybody uses a tmpfs it might make sense to fix those.
13
14 Rich