From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:48:50
1 On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:40:49 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > I don't know if it would be feasible from a package manager point of
4 > view, but couldn't some (most?) blockers be avoided if there was some
5 > means to transfer ownership of installed files from one package to
6 > another?
7
8 From a package manager point of view, it's probably easier to know that
9 a transfer of ownership will take place (or, more specifically, that
10 collisions between two packages as part of an upgrade or replace
11 process are ok) than to deal with specific files. It's probably easier
12 to write ebuilds that way too -- providing explicit lists gets very
13 messy if we start talking about things that include libdir or bits of
14 CHOST or Ruby versions or whatever in their filenames.
17 Ciaran McCreesh