From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Killing UEFI Secure Boot
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:57:06
1 On 2012.06.21 16:05, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 06/21/2012 11:00 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 > >> A firmware replacement for the BIOS does not need to worry about
4 > >> floppy drives, hard drives, optical drives, usb devices, isa
5 > >> devices, pci devices and pci express drives, etcetera, because
6 > >> those live on buses, which the kernel can detect. It would need
7 > >> a device tree to inform the kernel of what buses are available,
8 > >> but that would be specific to a given board, rather than what is
9 > >> attached to it. If the end user makes hardware changes, the
10 > >> kernel should be able to handle that, with the exception of
11 > >> changes involving RAM, which I believe go into the device tree.
12 > >
13 > > I take it the above statement is based on the kernel being
14 > > directly placed within the BIOS/firmware/nvram on the board, such
15 > > that you couldn't boot anything else but that kernel?
16 >
17 > That is correct.
18 >
19 [snip]
20
21 So when you build a dud kernel and flash your BIOS with it, and we all
22 build the odd dud, your motherboard is bricked.
23
24 Now what?
25
26 Get out your JTAG adaptor and another PC I suppose.
29 Regards,
30
31 Roy Bamford
32 (Neddyseagoon) a member of