From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please do not stabilize packages for arches you cannot test for
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:52:16
1 On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 04:00:40 +0000
2 Tom Payne <twp@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Problems solved:
5 >
6 > Arch leads no longer have to test every single ebuild that comes there
7 > way-- non x86 arches get package updates quicker with reduced workload
8 > for arch leads.
9
10 If we can do this without a loss of the Q in QA, then I'm all for it :)
11
12 One alternative that is becoming available to developers are the
13 development/release engineering boxes that are cropping up.
14
15 For a lot of programs out there, it's not hard to test their functionality
16 remotely (though GUI applications can be a bit harder). I imagine having
17 one or two people per herd with accounts on these various boxes would help
18 improve QA substantially.
19
20 Granted at the current time, not all arches have a publically
21 available test machine or two, but it definitely decreases the
22 amount of work on the arch devs and the "no news is good news"
23 stablization of ebuilds that happens now.
24
25 > No need to write unit tests for packages to help arch leads (lots of
26 > work and hard to do in some cases (e.g. interactive progs)).
27
28 Test cases don't necessarily need to be automated. A simple list of
29 instructions to verify functionality that a dev could run wound be
30 acceptable (to me).
31
32 For example
33
34 1) Do operation a
35 2) Do operation b
36 3) Expect result c
37
38 > New problems:
39 >
40 > Might result in broken software being installed.
41
42 I'd like to avoid this if at all possible. All software in the tree,
43 even if it's marked ~arch, is supposed to work. The fact that ~arch
44 things are broken is bad, but if a package gets to arch broken or still
45 broken is even worse, and reflects poorly on Gentoo as a whole.
46
47 > Feedback please. I advocate this approach for 'minor' packages, i.e.
48 > nothing fundamental to the working of the system. It's more suitable for
49 > scripting language libraries and minor applications (e.g. obscure window
50 > managers).
51
52 While most of the time, packages aren't problematic on non-x86 arches,
53 there do crop up those that have abnormal behavior. Whether it's unable
54 to compile or has undesired/broken functionality once compiled/installed.
55
56 I'm a bit more open to packages that are scripts, but I have yet to meet a
57 language that is truly as cross-platform compatible as they all claim to
58 be (not that I'm any kind of official reviewer or have run into every
59 language out there).
60
61 However, if something like this is implemented, I would ask that programs
62 that need to be compiled not be put into this list. If a problem is going
63 to crop up, it'll be here, and often times Makefiles don't fail correctly
64 if something cannot build (for instance try over-optimizing
65 net-firewall/fwbuilder and then find the fwbuilder executable after it has
66 installed).
69 My (non-refundable) $0.02,
70 --
71 Jason Wever