From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:16:23
1 Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > All of that said, how about we clear up all of the misinformation about
3 > how arch keywording really works, how deps get wrongly dropped, and then
4 > explain why mips has generally fallen behind. This isn't an excuse,
5 > but is merely a statement of facts which describe the situation.
6 >
7 Thanks for the clear explanation of the process; it helps to put this in
8 context for non-devs.
9
10 <snip loads of stuff i'm not qualified to comment on>
11 > All of this has gotten us to the current situation, where ebuild
12 > maintainers are really pissed off at the mips team, and where the mips
13 > team is pissed off at ebuild developers for breaking our tree. This is
14 > why I get so mad sometimes. Anyone knows me knows that I have
15 > *consistently* screamed at people for breaking arch deps (rather than
16 > just being an asshole because I'm retiring, as a certain group seems to
17 > think). I would much rather have something that I know has been
18 > tested in the tree, rather than expend unnecessary and unavailable
19 > time to answer to every single security bug.
20 >
21 Um not being rude, but why do you think screaming at people is a good way to
22 work? Personally it switches me right off, and i find it hard not to flip
23 the `bozo bit' on someone who carries on like that. Normally a day or two
24 is sufficient for me to work out why that person was being rude to me (eg
25 on irc ;) or at least what they were trying to say. It has never been
26 enough for me to accept the way they said it mind; I just try to bear in
27 mind that they have issues.
28
29 > Considering all that I have said above, it was no surprise
30 > that I got a bit irritated by bug #163795. However, I will say that I
31 > merely started out by saying it would have been nice for Diego to
32 > actually attempt to contact one of us on irc for a quick chat before
33 > dropping mips from all of KDE. His notoriously short fuse caused that
34 > discussion to rapidly proceed to all-out flame.
35 >
36 I don't know either of you. What I do know is you called him a very
37 offensive term (and saying someone is like something is just the same imo)
38 and in the context of that discussion you were out of order. Period.
39
40 TBH I don't care what discussion went on prior- imo ppl should be polite and
41 professional. (If nothing else, it shows a real lack of imagination to
42 resort to cuss-words. ;) In my experience when I've wanted to mouth off
43 (not on gentoo) I've tried to make myself: read, take a break and re-read.
44 Typically by expressing my concerns in better language, I can make my point
45 far more effectively.
46
47 <snip> Instead of being constructive,
48 > Diego resorted to outright preemptive harassing, which I believe to be a
49 > direct result of sour grapes from bug #163795.
50 >
51 That would be the bug above where you called him a dick? `Sour grapes'?!
52
53 I don't want to get into the whys and wherefores. I'd just like to say to
54 all devs: PLEASE BE POLITE. It doesn't cost you anything except thinking
55 time which will make your case _better_.
56
57 > I know it's hard for
58 > those of you who believe that Diego's shit smells like roses, but he
59 > was harassing an arch developer who was only trying to do his job
60 > correctly. I took exception, so I screamed at Diego as I have many
61 > other people during my time in Gentoo (yes, shocking as it may be, I
62 > have called people twats and fuckheads without them quitting as a
63 > result).
64 >
65 And frankly that's just bad form. The fact that ppl stuck around doesn't say
66 one iota about you or your methods; it speaks far more to their motivation.
67 And let's face it- we all love gentoo. Or why would ciaran and you still be
68 posting to bugs and dev-ml? Why not just fork off?
69
70 > Apparently that was just too much for him, so not only did he
71 > quit, but he attempted to blackmail devrel into firing me instantly.
72 > Perhaps, I should have been slightly less blunt with him, but I stand
73 > by my comments. I do not feel I was wrong to tell him off for
74 > harassing eroyf.
75 >
76 Ah but that's not what you did, is it?
77
78 If you are seriously taking the position that you stand by your rude,
79 unprofessional manner then TBH I'm glad you're retiring, for gentoo's sake.
80 And while I understand kloeri's statements on the blog, I don't get why
81 you've gotten away with calling people "twats and fuckheads." I can only
82 put it down to devrel overwork.
83
84 > Now this is just my opinion and not fact, but Diego
85 > was merely looking for an excuse to quit, so don't blame me. I didn't
86 > force him to quit, he did that of his own free will. Anyone who knows
87 > Diego knows that he has been talking of quitting for a long time now.
88 > If not me, he would surely have found another excuse, but whatever.
89 > What is done is done. I indeed have retired, so those of you who are
90 > so upset and offended that I am still around can sleep a little easier
91 > at night knowing that Satan^H^H^H^H^HGeoman won't be screaming at you
92 > for doing stupid things any longer.
93 >
94 Frankly I value your and ciaranm's input *when you are polite* but the rest
95 of the time it just leaves a bad feeling in my mouth, even tho it's nothing
96 to do with me. It makes me feel really uncomfortable about associating with
97 gentoo. Flameeyes never did that.
98
99 Before you go- were you working on EAPI? I've been waiting ages on that..
100
101 http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
102 http://alec.scriptkitty.com/blog/2007/01/07/working-as-a-team-criticism-and-respect/
103 http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/01/msg00101.html