From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GTK USE flag situation (gtk, gtk2, gtk3; relevant to bug #420493)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 07:24:05
1 El mar, 11-02-2014 a las 19:33 -0500, Chris Reffett escribió:
2 [...]
3 > This doesn't make sense to me at all. I can't see why slotted
4 > libraries can't just use USE flags to specify what toolkit they're
5 > built against, just like any other package in the tree (so, for
6 > example, a package that needs webkit-gtk built against gtk3 would
7 > depend on webkit-gtk[gtk3] instead of webkit-gtk:3). I'm well aware
8 > that there could be limitations I'm unaware of (maybe the package only
9 > can build one at a time?), but this is how it looks to me. By
10 > switching to versioned gtk flags, this kills two birds with one stone:
11 > it makes it obvious to the end user which version they're trying to
12 > build their package against, and it gets rid of the need for (ab)using
13 > revision numbers to implement slots like that.
16 At least for webkit-gtk, we would still need to have slots as,
17 otherwise, people wanting gtk2 support wouldn't be able to have webkit2
18 support at the same time (that is needed by, for example, epiphany and
19 other recent webkitgtk consumers), not sure about other slotted packages
20 for gtk2/3 support (I don't have much time just now to recheck all :S)