From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:27:11
1 W dniu czw, 22.03.2018 o godzinie 20∶17 +0000, użytkownik James Le
2 Cuirot napisał:
3 > On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:03:46 +0100
4 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > After 2+ years of repeating disagreements with Portage maintainer(s)
7 > > I have finally decided to fork Portage. My little fork uses technical
8 > > name of 'portage[mgorny]' [1] (to distinguish it from mainline Portage),
9 > > and aims to focus on cleaning up code and adding useful features with
10 > > less concern for infinite bug-by-bug compatibility.
11 >
12 > I hope you will continue with our efforts to drive regular Portage
13 > forwards too. It's been a long road but also very productive.
14 >
15 > I notice that your fork cannot be installed at the same time as regular
16 > Portage. I think this will really hinder any interest in it.
17
18 Making them co-installable would require creating divergent packages
19 and eventually making a huge mess of almost-identical-but-different
20 Python modules. It's not worth the effort, especially that the two
21 projects are not that divergent.
22
23 > As
24 > Gentoo developers, we obviously have to make sure things work with the
25 > official package manager and that goes for you too. Would it be
26 > possible for them to coexist? I'm not saying I'll try it though, just
27 > making a suggestion. :)
28
29 As Gentoo developers, we have have to make sure things work with *all*
30 package managers. That's why we have standards and policies. Unlike
31 mainline Portage, portage[mgorny] follows those policies strictly
32 and therefore any ebuild that works with it should also work with
33 mainline Portage.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny