From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:15:24
1 On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 00:22 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 March 2007, Dale wrote:
3 > > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > > On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 22:46 +0100, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
5 > > >> And how exactly does this help us in the event of say the OSL burning
6 > > >> down or the GNi suffering flooding? :)
7 > > >
8 > > > Well, we're on the second floor of the data center which has a quite
9 > > > large basement, which would likely absorb most of the water. About the
10 > > > only feasible way for our stuff to get flooded is if the San Andreas
11 > > > finally gets the "big one" and the west coast of the US falls into the
12 > > > Pacific, in which case, we'll be worried about other issues, I'm sure.
13 > > >
14 > > > That being said, you're more than welcome to assist Infrastructure (and
15 > > > the Foundation) in finding new hosting locations as well as the manpower
16 > > > to bring new services up in those locations or moving existing services.
17 > > > Doing moves like this is a bunch of work, and not something I feel we
18 > > > should be "dumping" on the Infrastructure team.
19 > >
20 > > Can I assume this building has indoor plumbing? It can be on the top
21 > > floor and still get flooded. I saw a house once that the hot water
22 > > heater busted and water was about a foot deep and was coming out the walls.
23 > >
24 > > More than one way to "flood" a building. :/
25 >
26 > Actually the situation is not that hypothetical. Some years ago the datacenter
27 > of the University of Twente (The Netherlands) was set to fire by an angry
28 > systems administrator. The building housed among other infrastructure vital
29 > to the university also some machines of great importance to the debian
30 > project. Due to a combined effort of suppliers, the university staff and the
31 > fact that they had a new datacenter that happened to be about to open, most
32 > things were up an running again in a few days.
35 > The thing I'm worried about
36 > most is insurrance. I trust that infra has backups of the important things
37 > like our repositories.
38
39 The hosting Gentoo gets from GNi is a world class service in some of
40 the best data centers in the world. Everything important gets backed
41 up nightly from one data center to another. As GNi/365 Main move into
42 more data centers world wide chances are Gentoo will be moving into
43 those additionally as well.
46 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
47 Gentoo Linux
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list