From: Gert Dewit <gert@××××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel PCMCIA
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:22:42
1 On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 1048, Chad wrote:
2 > Gert Dewit wrote:
3 > > I've posted following message on the gentoo-install forum, but I'd like to
4 > > know from you guys why gentoo is using the non-kernel PCMCIA stuff from
5 > > pcmcia-cs in the install initrd.
6 >
7 > Daniel put that on the install CD per my recommendation. My understanding
8 > is that pcmcia-cs has newer/more drivers than the kernel. If this is no
9 > longer correct, then we can certainly switch to kernel-only modules on the
10 > CD in the future.
11
12 I'm affraid it's not that simple. As up to kernel version 2.4.16 or so
13 you were right that the pcmcia-cs drivers were more stable and had more
14 supported cards. Today I'm not sure about the situation. As far as I
15 know there are cards that are only supported by the kernel drivers
16 (the D-Link DFE 690TXD I use for instance as well as other cards that
17 are supported by their pci drivers) and there are cards that are only
18 supported by the pcmcia-cs drivers.
19
20 The best way to go I think is use the kernel PCMCIA infrastructure
21 and drivers and add the pcmcia-cs "clients" (drivers) and cardmanager
22 utils. I think this is the strategy the RedHat boys also use.
23
24 If you want me to check it out, just say so, I've got some spare time
25 while my new gentoo system is building on my laptop.
26
27 Groeten,
28
29 Gert
30 --
31 "UNIX is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity."
32 -- Dennis Ritchie