From: Matthew Marlowe <matt@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:25:38
1 > It would be nice if a sensible structure could be proposed and
2 > agreed by ALL Linux distributions (coordinated with BSD).
5 +1
6
7 If a new file system standard is required, my preferences based on a
8 history of what is worked and changed over the last 20-30 years would
9 be:
10
11 - OK with requiring / and /usr on the same FS. This has become common
12 practice with virtualization and small system deployments, and I
13 haven't seen any compelling advantage for keeping separate on larger
14 boxes.
15 - NOT OK with limitation on allowing /var, /opt, /home, or any other
16 common server mount points to require use of initramfs/initrd. There
17 is enough disagreement as to the reliability and ease of maintenance
18 of initramfs/initrd that it should not be needed for common server
19 deployments.
20 - It would be nice if the rootfs used a snapshot based filesystem and
21 if the bootloader was intelligent enough to easily allow admins to
22 boot to older snapshots as an expectation for any standard modern unix
23 system.
24 - Ideally, server motherboards would come with flash based storage
25 where sysadmins could install rescue environments as part of a normal
26 unix install, and that the boot loader or bios would be smart enough
27 to provide the option to boot from it automatically whenever a normal
28 boot failed.
29 - NOT OK with removing the distinction between user and system
30 binaries. Essential binaries required to boot and troubleshoot system
31 problems should be located separately from user binaries. Security
32 sensitive or paranoid admins should be able to make the system binary
33 path read-only or completely remove the user binary directory from
34 roots PATH if they so wish.
35 - OK with merging / and /usr, but in that case...why not just move
36 everything in /usr to /...but limit /sbin to system binaries and /bin
37 to user ones? This would be horrible for migrations though and
38 possibly confuse many scripts.
39 - NOT OK with making systemd the default init system anytime in the
40 next few years, it is way too immature and like most major system
41 software changes...probably will take much longer before it really has
42 the standing to propose being a new standard.
43 - What other elements can new filesystems like btrfs offer that should
44 be considered? ext3/ext4 has worked great with the older
45 standards...but it essentially mimicked the capabilities of older
46 file-systems that the original unix standards were based on. Btrfs
47 might change our expectations. I'm assuming that btrfs will be the
48 standard production fs in a few years.