From: Marius Mauch <genone@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ebuild Janitor Project -- Any formalities tojoining it?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 20:06:02
1 On 11 May 2003 14:31:00 -0500 Joshua Brindle wrote:
2
3 > >That being said - No, I didn't talk to anyone about it before going
4 > >ahead, portage is gpl'ed, I can do what ever I want to it, and I
5 > >intend to. I didn't want to announce anything untill it was off the
6 > >ground because I think people spend FAR to much time talking and FAR
7 > >to little time actually doing something.
8 > >I didn't expect it to take off this fast, we have been going for a
9 > >few days, and there are now several ebuilds waiting in queue to be
10 > >comfirmed working once that has happened they will be forwarded to
11 > >bugzilla. (This all written in the guidelines on the forum, but I'm
12 > >guessing you didn't even take your time to read that).
13 >
14 > Yea, you can do whatever you want with it, I never said you could't.
15 > The project has good goals and the ability to help, my ENTIRE question
16 > which you did NOT answer was of logistics. Ebuild XYZ sucks and
17 > janitor fixes it and submits it to you, what then? If it doesn't
18 > somehow get into our main portage tree than it can't help anyone. THIS
19 > is the reason you should be talking to devs, to see if we can come up
20 > with a way for the cleaned up ebuilds to make it into the tree.
21
22 What is the recommended way then to get in touch with the devs? We
23 thought that sending a mail to -dev would be the best way. See
24 Lovechilds mail as a RFC. Your mail had some good points, but I think it
25 sounds quite harsh.
26
27 > >Now suggest you do some research before giving nice people like my
28 > >teammates and myself a hard time.
29 >
30 > what research? It doesn't matter how nice you and your teammates
31 > are if the project has no ability to deliver the product. Keep in mind
32 > I never questioned you or your ability or your projects or your
33 > teammates. I asked how you planned on getting this to work and you
34 > reacted in a very emotional and defensive way. I suggest you evaluate
35 > the goals of the project and your ability to contribute to Gentoo with
36 > it. We will be more than happy to facilitate your project and it's
37 > contributions but you must take the initiative to talk to developers
38 > who can help you.
39
40 Ok, we all calm down a bit. I can't talk for the others, but I see the
41 project as a testbed for ebuild modifications that can be tested by
42 users before they get submitted to bugs.g.o. As Lovechild has said there
43 are also discussions about new use flags and other modifications to the
44 current portage system. I missed the discussion on IRC but I saw that
45 you were backed by other devs. Please notice that this projects has been
46 started just for a few days so of course we haven't clarified all
47 issues.
48
49 Marius (aka Genone)
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list