From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:47:22
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:09:14 +0200
3 > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Michał Górny schrieb:
6 >>> Hello,
7 >>>
8 >>> I have prepared a first draft of 'dynamic SLOT' specification. This
9 >>> is my proposal in attempt to solve the problem of building packages
10 >>> for multiple Python and Ruby versions. It could also be reused for
11 >>> multilib.
12 >>>
13 >>> The spec tries to explain the broad idea, and all problems relevant
14 >>> to it. It also lists a few problems which are still unsolved and I
15 >>> think they will cause the spec to change after hearing your ideas.
16 >>>
17 >>> To be honest, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Please don't
18 >>> say it doesn't solve all the world problems because it simply won't.
19 >>>
20 >>> I'm attaching a reStructuredText version of the spec. You can view
21 >>> it rendered as a gist[1]. But please keep the replies on the list,
22 >>> rather than forking the gist.
23 >>>
24 >>> [1]:https://gist.github.com/2943774
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> Since you have not responded to my lines in IRC, i will repeat them
28 >> here:
29 >>
30 >> First: How does the user see, which slots are possible and which ones
31 >> are currently active and which are currently not selected?
32 >
33 > Implementation is left to be package-manager specific. I guess colorful
34 > output (similar to USE flags) would be enough.
35
36 So you dont like my solution with USE flags and then suggest some USE
37 flag like output for your own solution? If you want to use something USE
38 flag like, then simply use USE flags, they already exist. ;-)
41 >> Beside that, it seems to solve things pretty similar to the proposed
42 >> way in multilib-portage for cross-compiling (which could also be
43 >> adapted for multi-slot languages) with different wording and with
44 >> additional work for ebuild maintainers. And since my proposal already
45 >> uses USE flags, things would not change visually for users of e.g.
46 >> ruby or php.
47 >
48 > I'm sad you aren't even trying to listen. Your attempt implies that
49 > every single change in targets requires rebuilding all of them. If I
50 > weren't using 32-bit libs, and now I want to compile 32-bit wine, I
51 > have to recompile most of my libraries for both ABIs. That is
52 > a no go for me.
53
54 So you want to build a 32bit package, which is depending on 32bit libs,
55 but want to do that without the needed dependencies? Please tell me, how
56 that works.
59 > And adjusting that for other multi-slot languages is pointless. Because
60 > they do the same already.
63 So you dont like one framework for all multi-slot languages and prefer
64 having each one using their own solution? Or do you just dislike my idea
65 for them and want to use your own suggestion for them?
69 Thomas Sachau
70 Gentoo Linux Developer