From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Better way to direct upstream bugs upstream?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 07:20:21
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 08/30/2015 12:03 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
5 > On 30 August 2015 at 07:53, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >>
8 >> Is there a better way of directing reporters to file bugs
9 >> upstream? Of course it's not always clear whether a bug is an
10 >> ebuild bug or something easily patched in Gentoo vs a driver bug
11 >> that requires an upstream developer...
14 > I've always seen it as a case where Gentoo devs stand as a layer
15 > of sanitization between downstream and upstream.
16 >
17 > Wherein reporting things upstream is good, but having a downstream
18 > tracker for it is also good, so that when the bug is resolved
19 > upstream, that the consequences of it are known to be propagated
20 > downstream.
21 >
22 > And if upstream refuses to fix a bug, Gentoo devs have to choose
23 > how to handle that problem for downstream, sometimes patching
24 > around it, or if that is not simple, or not possible, to provide
25 > blockers where necessary, or produce end-user-visible warnings
26 > about problematic behaviour, etc.
27 >
28 > So, even in the case users are prompted to file bugs upstream
29 > first, they should also at minimum report to gentoo when the bug is
30 > resolved upstream so that the fix can be replicated.
31 >
32 > Its also not always abundantly clear to end users where upstream
33 > is, and there are potholes in that process. For instance, in Perl
34 > space, the "Current upstream reporting que" is often RT, but it can
35 > be github, and knowing exactly where the reporting queue
36 > *currently* is something that can't be reliably replicated in
37 > metadata.xml, because it can change on a whim, and sometimes the
38 > metadata visible on the CPAN sources is also wrong, and requires an
39 > experienced developer to chase its tail to work out where it
40 > currently is.
41 >
42 > And there are some upstreams on CPAN where there is no documented
43 > or stated bug reporting mechanism, and in such cases, the metadata
44 > will encourage you to use the defacto standard, RT, and doing so
45 > for some upstreams will get you automated mails that will possibly
46 > make the reporter recoil in a corner for a bit.
47 >
48 > I know and have had moderate success in dealing with upstreams
49 > like that, because I've worked out from listening to people talk
50 > how/where to actaully talk about problems and try to work out how
51 > to say things in a way that will work.
52 >
53 > ( That is, I'm a much better reporter at reporting faults found in
54 > gentoo to some upstreams than any user could hope to be )
55 >
56 > There are also cases where users reporting direct to upstream just
57 > irritates upstream, because its a breakage/potential breakage due
58 > to something gentoo does, and you have the whole hostile "not our
59 > problem, you're on gentoo, you get to keep the pieces" response.
60 >
61 > For these reasons, I think its best that those with the most
62 > knowledge of how upstream works, ( us, the developers ) handle
63 > reports from end users and ferry them upstream.
66 Quick question: what is RT?
67
68 Regarding that, I've noticed that multiple upstreams (apparently urxvt
69 being one) have an issue with Gentoo and how 'problematic' we are as a
70 distribution because we offer so much choice to users. I'm not sure I
71 understand that attitude since makes upstreams look like they don't
72 care about the configurability of their own software.
73
74 If Perl packages and CPAN have similar issues, how do you guys handle
75 it in perl-space? I think if I was dealing with a difficult upstream,
76 I'd try to figure out what I could do to help their build scripts
77 improve. If they were unresponsive to criticism or offers for
78 improvement, I would reroute bugs their way.
79
80 Historically, what is our approach to stubborn upstreams that think
81 Gentoo is the problem instead of their build scripts or packaging
82 preferences? Do we have a policy regarding difficult upstreams?
83
84 - --
85 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
86 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
87 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6