From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 19:44:22
1 On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 05:56:25PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote
2
3 > If upstream does a new release, fixes bugs. Gentoo marks a previous
4 > release stable. It is stabilizing a package with issues fixed upstream.
5 > That does not make sense. Gentoo issues maybe good, but not upstreams.
6 >
7 > I maintained packages like iText which used to have a 30 day release
8 > cycle. Up till recently Jetty was about the same. As a end user, I
9 > needed the bug fixes. Not the delay for it be marked stable.
10 >
11 > I stopped running Redhat long ago due to time to vet updates. I run
12 > Gentoo for the speed of being able to package and test out new code.
13
14 What I get out of this discussion is that some people prefer to run
15 ~arch versus stable arch. I have no problem with that. But I do object
16 to dropping "stable" altogether. I personally run stable with the rare
17 occasional unstable package, where it's either not available as stable,
18 or the unstable version fixes a bug in the stable version. And just for
19 kicks I'm running gcc 6.3.0.
20
21 It's one thing to rush-stabilize a new package that fixes a security
22 hole. But I don't see the point of rush-stabilizing everything "just
23 because". I recommend mostly keeping our current setup, with one
24 change, i.e. allowing security-fix ebuilds to go "stable" immediately.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications