From: Ioannis Aslanidis <aslanidis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:50:59
1 xmms2 and audacious sound good ;)
2
3 Luis Medinas wrote:
4 > Hi everyone.
5 >
6 > I'm the current maintainer for xmms and all plugins. As you all know
7 > xmms is writen over GTK+-1. This toolkit is not supported by the
8 > upstream like xmms. We have lot's of dead upstream plugins on portage
9 > and this is a pain to maintain like xmms itself. You might want to look
10 > at our patchset that contains fixes for 'millions' of bugs.
11 > We have a few alternatives like audacious, gstreamer based players and
12 > xine-lib players (did i forget anything ?). The problem is that this
13 > players doesn't support a few audiotypes or plugins that xmms currently
14 > does.
15 > So i'm asking for a solution either remove xmms, move the maintainer for
16 > anyone who volunteer or the sound herd.
17 > My plans now is replace xmms for xmms2 (that i would like to take the
18 > maintainership). Opinions ? Ideas ?
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list