From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [EAPI 8 RFC] Install-time dependencies
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 19:33:47
1 On Sat, 2019-12-21 at 08:21 +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 13:54:44 -0500
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Yes, I think you misunderstand something, but I'm not sure exactly how.
6 >
7 > I think the missing part of my understanding might be that IDEPEND
8 > needs to be satisfied by:
9 >
10 > - Packages installing binpkg's ( which don't need src_fetch, unpack, etc )
11 > - Package managers *removing* packages.
12 >
13 > As in, if a package declares IDEPEND="foo"
14 >
15 > And "foo" is not available when asking portage to "emerge -C bar"
16 >
17 > Portage must demand that "foo" is reinstalled to allow "bar" to be
18 > removed ( as foo needs to be there to complete pkg_*rm )
19 >
20 > This probably gonna make package manager fun :)
21
22 Hence, ebuilds will need to account for the dependencies actually being
23 missing in pkg_*rm. And the package managers must not implement
24 proactive depcleaning of IDEPEND.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny