From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Banning modification of pkg-config files
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 19:59:18
1 Hi,
2
3 (please avoid cross-list e-mails in the future if possible. Makes
4 threading horrible)
5
6 On 05/09/2014 07:21 PM, Matti Bickel wrote:
7 > On 05/09/2014 04:07 PM, hasufell wrote:
8 >> I ask the council to vote on banning pkg-config files that would
9 >> be added or renamed downstream (at least this will prevent new
10 >> violations).
11 >
12 > I want to repeat my stance from the linked bug that making this a
13 > policy or calling on council to add more weight to existing devmanual
14 > bits is adding red tape that from my point of view decreases the
15 > quality of Gentoo. Asking me to remove the pkg-config file for lua-5.2
16 > or removing the modifications to 5.1 will kill support for packages
17 > depending on these files existing.
19
20 I was wondering, is there a good reason we keep our own pkgconfig files
21 instead of communicating that to upstream and resolve that properly?
22 What other distributions do? Or are we a special case and we need our
23 own pc files?
26 Regards,
27 Markos Chandras