From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google SoC @ Gentoo - Universal Select Tool
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 16:35:08
1 On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 15:32 +0100, Sérgio Almeida wrote:
2 > > On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 22:01 +0100, Sérgio Almeida wrote:
3 > > > Here are the main interest ideas:
4 > > > * actions can be run system-wide and per-user:
5 > > > # action user moo
6 > > > # action system moo
7 > >
8 > > Are there any thoughts to support something more fine granular settings
9 > > than system and user?
10 >
11 > Indeed, user is not "for all the users". It's an action that can be run
12 > by the users to change it's own settings without touching the system's
13 > fallback default.
14
15 Seems you didn't really understand my problem yet - another try:
16 The *one* and *same* user does need different settings at the *same*
17 time depending on the project he's currently working on in different
18 shells. The actual setting needs to be set up by the project's
19 environment script (when the users enters the project), not the user's
20 profile script (when the user logs in).
21
22 > That's the point of the uselect tool. Per-System settings, Per-User
23 > settings (2 different ssh sessions of the same user can still have
24 > different environment settings too).
25
26 This maybe is what I'm after: Question still is how to easily set up the
27 different environment?
28
29 > I work as a sysadmin and manage mainly multi-user gentoo environments
30 > where people develop calculus c/python/fortran/R/whatever code using
31 > wathever utilities we can imagine. Everytime a new project is beeing
32 > done people need to set the environment variables themselves when they
33 > are kind enough not to ask me. That's mainly the whole purpose of this
34 > uselect tool, easy multi user environments managing.
35
36 Seems like we have a similar job ;)
37 Maybe it's the wording only, but in addition to the multi-user dimension
38 I'm still missing the multi-project dimension for one user.
39
40 /haubi/
41 --
42 Michael Haubenwallner