From: Philippe Trottier <tchiwam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] binary packaging
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:02:48
1 Hello,
2
3 I am trying to install a lot of systems using gentoo, so I did 4
4 machines with distcc to compile things, and the rest of the machines
5 will be using precompiled (emerge -k) I ran into some wierd suprises.
6 Then I had a chat on #gentoo-dev.
7
8 This is a resume...
9
10 It is somehow difficult to know and sort all the possible binary
11 packages. If the USE flags are different it does give some headache. One
12 suggestion is to had a hex bit mask for each USE flags. for example
13 package.w.x.y-rz-0A.tgz2 would mean USE flags are set as follow
14 00001010. At least that way someone can guess what package to fetch
15 without having 1000 char long file names.
16
17 But then repoman should make sure that if USE flags are changed then the
18 -r must also change. This won't tell what gcc has been used and may
19 other dependecies would cause troubles.
20
21 Now if someone uses xar, he could add all or the relevent parts of
22 emerge info in the archive. portage could make a sanity check and
23 recompile anyway if he thinks the package is too far. Other way to still
24 speed up the business would be to inject the precompiled data in ccache
25 directly. If the preprocessed code is the same and the compiler is the
26 same identical result are to be expected.
27
28 xar alone might prove difficult to handle, big file containing all,
29 loads of BW ... bad !
30
31 Subdirectories should be made under packages, at least separate them by
32 arch, I separate them by cpu-gentoo release , like athlon-mp-2004.2,
33 7400-2004.3, pentium4-1.4 etc etc works for me...
34
35 emerge -k ... seems not to care about PDEPEND for some reason, but I
36 might be doing something wierd.
37
38 If you have better ideas, please share them. Ill manage myself with the
39 current system anyway.
40
41 Yours,
42 Philippe