From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Feature request: package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:01:08
1 On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 > I agree that the ~arch ebuilds should be tested in the same
4 > configuration in which they will end up in arch. However in this case,
5 > the possible configurations for arch are a subset of those in ~arch, so
6 > the testing covers those too.
7
8 Just because a stable system brings in fewer use flags doesn't
9 necessarily mean that it is less likely to break. Use flags can have
10 all kinds of effects, some applied when they are present, and others
11 applied when they are absent.
12
13 The value of testing comes from testing things in the anticipated
14 future production environment. Of course, the fact that we stabilize
15 individual packages and not all their libraries/etc at the same time
16 already weakens this.
17
18 Rich