From: Anton Starikov <antst@×××××××.se>
To: Olivier Fisette <ribosome@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ifc USE flag, fortran support and some general notes about multi-compiler support
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:37:34
1 Olivier Fisette wrote:
2 > What about per package environment variable declarations? I have been
3 > experiencing problems similar to Anton's: I compile my system using GCC, but
4 > I use ICC for some packages I use in intensive calculations. To do so, I must
5 > check every "world" update and manually set env variables such as CC.
6 > Additionnally, I do not use the same "CFLAGS" for these packages as for the
7 > rest of my system. I am not aware of any mechanism allowing me to automate
8 > this process with the current Portage system.
9 The same tasks, the same problems :)
10
11 > What about having a file such as /etc/portage/package.env, that we could use
12 > to set per package compilers, "CFLAGS" and such? It would be pretty nice to
13 > be able to configure something along those lines:
14 >
15 > =app-sci/emboss-2.9* CC="icc" CFLAGS="IWantFastSequenceAlignments"
16 >
17 > ... and not have to worry about manually setting environment variables
18 > whenever these packages are updated.
19 > This would certainly not solve all issues related to alternative compilers,
20 > but it would make many things easier, and we could get rid of silly "USE"
21 > flags like "icc", that are not related to the packages' content (the ebuilds
22 > could simply check their environment and adapt the build process or report a
23 > compiler incompatibility).
24 >
25 > What do you think?
26 >
27 Yes, it can be also a solution. Anyway, it will be nessecary to change
28 slightly some ebuilds, but in my case you have to change anyway. This is
29 even better sollution, but require changes in portage. I just didn't
30 implement it because I don't want to patch each time portage :) But if
31 it will be there "out of box" - that will be perfect.
32
33 Anton.
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list