From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] static vs dynamic doc ref?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:36:10
1 On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:17:46 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 06 March 2007, Michael Cummings wrote:
5 > i dont think this has really been documented properly, but the logic
6 > behind it is pretty simple ...
7 >
8 > not providing static libraries and only providing dynamic libraries
9 > prevents people from compiling their own static applications on the
10 > fly -mike
11
12 then maybe its a flaw in the inherited methodology of how we build
13 perl, since we build perl itself against the static vice the dynamic
14 (instead, we could just build the static and let it sit to the side and
15 build the the dynamic as part of the main perl build process). Wish I
16 could get some examples of static apps building against the static
17 libperl (since in my microcosm, everything builds against what perl
18 tells it to with perl -V:libperl, which is libperl.a only because
19 that's what the main perl ebuild builds right now). i won't claim to be
20 sold on the concept, but i think i can work with it. Thanks mike :) And
21 see - an almost -dev question on dev, who woulda thunk.
22
23 ~the other mike
28 Michael Cummings | #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl
29 Gentoo Perl Dev | on irc.freenode.net
30 Gentoo/SPARC
31 Gentoo/AMD64
32 GPG: 0543 6FA3 5F82 3A76 3BF7 8323 AB5C ED4E 9E7F 4E2E
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list