From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: make gentoo-core publicly read-only
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:30:07
1 On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:21:35 -0500
2 Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I personally feel that it may be a good time to reconsider making
5 > gentoo-core a publicly read-only list. Several users I know (some
6 > personally) are irate that we appear to be a "behind-closed-doors"
7 > project. Yes, this stems from the recent fork announcement.
8
9 Actually I somehow doubt that most of the people who cry really loud at
10 the moment would even bother to read -core if it was made read-only.
11
12 > I hope that we can open -core as a publicly read-only list to involve
13 > our community more. We owe this much to our user-base in my opinion.
14 > For these reasons, I have CC'd this to -dev.
15
16 Up until now I've always been in favor of making -core world readable.
17 But after the proposal of the new managment structure I think that
18 publicly available summaries of the last week (which the project leaders
19 have to do as far as my understanding goes) are enough (considered they
20 are not to briefly), as they give us users willing to help an indication
21 what is going on, what already has been discussed, why it has (not) been
22 dismissed etc., while still assuring devs have the privacy they
23 sometimes need.
24
25 Also I think that a read-only -core will increase the noise ratio on
26 -dev again, as some people may want to immediately react when a
27 proposal is made they don't like, and I'll bet that -dev will be the
28 place where this mails go. So I suspect we'll end up with a number of
29 postings to -dev which would have never been necessary because the dev
30 team votes against this proposal in the end. This kind of situation can
31 be avoided by a weekly status update.
32
33 So personally, I _really_ want to know _some of the things_ discussed
34 on -core, but I'm not really assured that a publicly available -core is
35 the best solution.
36
37 Michael
40 www.cargal.org
41 GnuPG-key-ID: 0x90CA09E3
42 Jabber-ID: citizen428 [at] cargal [dot] org
43 Registered Linux User #278726