From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SSL-Certificates and CAcert
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:14:37
1 On Friday 28 September 2007 01:10:48 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > > Is there a reason that my Godaddy suggestion in the bug isn't being
3 > > considered? Regardless of what you may think of them as a company, they
4 > > offer the same free type of certificate to open source projects just like
5 > > cacert, and with what looks to be considerable less overhead.  I
6 > > understand that cacert is more "open sourcy" than godaddy, but if they're
7 > > as much of a roadblock as the Trustees are in this case, maybe going that
8 > > route would enable us to move forward?
9 >
10 > See my comment #14, regarding regenerating the certs [1] each time the set
11 > of SSL vhosts on a box changes. For mail services, this isn't really an
12 > issue, but for web services it's a big one. Wildcards only work in
13 > Mozilla, and nowhere else [2].
14 >
15 > [1]
16 > http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/VhostTaskForce#head-7236c4e2c9932ef42056b3ff6d3
17 >67053081887de [2] http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/WildcardCertificates
18
19 Wildcard certs work with all browsers, even wget and lynx, and one wildcard
20 will cover anything *.gentoo.org, but not *.*.gentoo.org. No regeneration
21 necessary.
22 That wiki page I believe only talks about *'s in different places, which is
23 not supported.
24 I personally use the same wildcard cert for webmail via apache, imap/pop via
25 courier, and SMTP.
28 Mike Williams
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list