From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 30 (Planet Gentoo): Round 2
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:37:09
1 On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 04:20:55PM +0100 or thereabouts, foser wrote:
2 > Define 'the users' and 'their response' ? Success is when enough people
3 > check back on a daily basis to see whats going on in Gentoo land. Hits i
4 > find a somewhat awkward measure, i assume it means all hits : to the
5 > page & to the rss feed. The second also generates hits for ppl who not
6 > necessarily read it and/or who update frequently (several times a day)
7 > and as such is not very reliable in itself.
8 >
9 > Last but not least i see it also as a way of developer communications,
10 > ideally it gives a broad overview where things are heading. As such mere
11 > user interest might not even be all that relevant.
12
13 I don't care what metric is used to measure success as long as it's a)
14 somewhat reasonable and b) agreed upon in advance.
15
16 > I still think your requirements make it more difficult to implement this
17 > than it should be. I still see no reason why Gentoo itself should
18 > provide blog space, it only makes matters more difficult regarding
19 > developers leaving, etc. Devs who blog already do so outside of Gentoo,
20 > devs who don't aren't en masse gonna start now.
21
22 Huh? My requirements? If you'll read back a few posts in this thread,
23 yuo'll see that I actually suggested killing off hosting blogs ourselves.
24 However, a number of devs posted asking that we keep that part of the GLEP
25 so, for now, that's still the plan. It is not my "requirement", however.
26
27 --kurt