From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-libs/zlib: punt from system in profiles
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 02:16:11
1 On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > we have USE=zlib already which should cover automatically pulling in zlib when
3 > necessary, and we have that by default in make.conf.  so there's no need to
4 > explicitly list zlib as part of the system target.  so time to drop it.
5 > -mike
6
7 I don't object to this, but just to satisfy my curiosity, what are the
8 effects of removing, say, zlib or readline from the system profile?
9 It'd be very difficult if not impossible to construct a system without
10 these. The only effect I've noticed from changes like these are that
11 sometimes the packages will be depcleaned from stage3 tarballs if
12 nothing has them in RDEPEND.
13
14 Are there any other cases?
15