From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Textrels in packages policy
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:11:05
1 Basically what I'm looking for here is an easy to understand explanation of
2 what textrels are, why they are bad, and why they should hold back marking a
3 package stable. The only information I've been able to find states that they
4 could cause a performance hit, but this doesn't seem to warrant banning them
5 completely in my eyes.
6
7 Getting a clear cut policy on exactly what issues should hold a package back
8 from being marked stable is what I'm looking for. Issues like textrels,
9 executable stacks, etc is what I'm looking for to be defined and explained why
10 we are to always avoid them. This should be added to existing documentation
11 policy so it is somewhere for new devs to know about, and existing devs to
12 have for a reference.
13
14 Thanks
17 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
18 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
19 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
20 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
21 http://www.halcy0n.com