From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] PROPERTIES=test_network now available in git portage for packages whose only tests need Internet
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 08:21:25
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 I've just pushed support PROPERTIES=test_network to git portage. It can
4 now be used in ::gentoo to mark packages that are test-restricted
5 because their tests need to access the Internet, i.e.:
6
7 # ebuild snippet
8 PROPERTIES="test_network"
9 RESTRICT="test"
10
11 Normally, this doesn't change anything. But if you use a new enough
12 Portage (3.0.19+ when it's released, or 9999) and set in your make.conf:
13
14 # make.conf snippet
15 ALLOW_TEST="network"
16
17 Then Portage is going to unrestrict tests in the packages using the new
18 property, and run the test phase with network-sandbox disabled. This
19 way developers and arch testers can improve test coverage without
20 affecting users that do not wish random Internet access.
23 This was originally proposed to EAPI 8 as RESTRICT="network-test".
24 However, we've decided that by using a combination of PROPERTIES +
25 regular RESTRICT="test" we can add this to all EAPIs and benefit from it
26 immediately.
27
28 It is quite possible that future versions of Portage will allow
29 additional test_* properties and ALLOW_TEST values, e.g. "test_docker".
30
31 I'd say that this is an '80%' solution. Generally, if we classified
32 packages on a non-linear scale of 1..5 that:
33
34 1 - all tests run locally
35 2 - there are some insignificant tests using Internet
36 3 - there are some local tests and some Internet tests and both are
37 needed to meaningfully test the package
38 4 - the vast majority of tests require Internet, the few tests that run
39 locally are insignificant
40 5 - all tests require Internet
41
42 This solution addresses 4 & 5. 1 is good, for 2 it should be good
43 enough to deselect the few tests. 3 is unsolved right now.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny