From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [OT/NIT] Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:25:46
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 23/04/13 03:11 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
8 >> wrote:
9 >>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Jeroen Roovers
10 >>> <jer@g.o> wrote:
11 >>>> Er, you can't be seriously suggesting we will drop repoman
12 >>>> checks with the migration to git? I don't see how that would
13 >>>> benefit anyone.
14 >>>>
15 >>>
16 >>> Interesting point. One thing to keep in mind with git is that
17 >>> commits don't affect the "central repository." Pushes are what
18 >>> impacts the repository.
19 >>>
20 >>> If I spend six months working on a bunch of coordinated
21 >>> package changes, nobody will see a thing until I push those
22 >>> commits and 500 ebuilds all change atomically (not that I'm
23 >>> suggesting that lack of communication is to be encouraged). A
24 >>> repoman check on a commit may not reflect its impact six months
25 >>> later when it actually hits the main tree.
26 >>
27 >> ... if you're squashing 6 months of work into a single commit
28 >> before pushing.
29 >>
30 >> I don't think we want to do that, do we? Maybe bisecting isn't
31 >> particularly interesting for the portage tree.
32 >
33 > I never said that I was squashing 6 months of work into a single
34 > commit, only that I was pushing 6 months worth of commits in a
35 > single operation.
36 >
37 > Any repoman checks done at the time of each commit are essentially
38 > worthless. Consider this example:
39 >
40 > 1. Create app-misc/foo-1.2 which depends on app-misc/bar.
41 > Repoman checks this and it is fine. 2. Do 500 other commits. 3.
42 > Push it all to the tree six months later. 4. Get bug report that
43 > app-misc/bar was renamed two months back.
44 >
45 > Repoman is about checking changes to the main repository. What
46 > matters isn't how the change you made impacts your clone of the
47 > repository, but how that change impacts the main repository when
48 > it eventually makes its way back.
49 >
50 > Unless your workflow is to pull, commit, and push with no
51 > intervening commits by other contributors, the repoman check needs
52 > to be done before the push, not the commit.
53 >
54 > Rich
58 This makes a lot of sense to me too -- repoman checks that are
59 absolutely -needed- are those run at push time, specifically when
60 pushing to master. 'git commit' time doesn't have an equivalent in
61 cvs, but to me the checks that should be done at this time would be
62 covered by the 'repoman -d full' checks we're already supposed to do,
63 and I don't think those need to be enforced.
64
65 Alternatively, we could enforce repoman checks on any commit or push
66 operation in master, and leave branches to their own devices. Of
67 course, I haven't seen (or looked for, tbh) how tree development will
68 be implemented/suggested to be done in git so I've no idea what role
69 branches might play..