From: Don Seiler <rizzo@g.o>
To: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Web Application installations
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:29:02
1 Very interesting idea. Is there a sort of web-app herd? What about
2 having a net-webapp category? Anyway I definitely want to stay apprised
3 of any changes in this area.
4
5 Thanks,
6 Don.
7
8 On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:31:52AM -0700, Robin H.Johnson wrote:
9 > On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:17:40PM +1000, Andrew Cowie wrote:
10 > > On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 15:17, Max Kalika wrote:
11 > > > I've ported over most of the Horde apps to use this eclass in my
12 > > > local tree as an exercise and let me tell you, installing (and
13 > > > upgrading) Horde is actually pleasant now.
14 > > Oh, yeah, I can see that. The app I have in mind is dotProject (also a
15 > > PHP web app)
16 > >
17 > > Web Application installations ARE a bit more complex than just `make
18 > > install` the program:
19 > >
20 > > a) installing PHP app (ok, this is relatively straight forward - you
21 > > just unpack tarball somewhere and ta-da, but one *does* need to know
22 > > where to put it)
23 > > "Where to put it" does have slightly broader implications. Under the
24 > > machine's default DocumentRoot seems a good idea, but there are many
25 > > instances where one wants to make a separate virtual host for the
26 > > installation, or, or....
27 > > Certainly as a first approximation, "sub directory of machine default
28 > > DocRoot" seems a not bad place to start, but I'm curious what others
29 > > think we should practice as I can think of numerous objections to this.
30 > After the 1.4 release (maybe before, depending on how busy I am with
31 > work), there will be a migration of all web applications to install
32 > somewhere like /usr/share/webapp/${P} (maybe ${PF})
33 >
34 > You will then be able to create instances of the package by having that
35 > /usr/share/webapp/${P} in PHP's include path, and all you do is have the
36 > configuration files in your instance directory, enabling you to have as
37 > many instances as you want, securely, with only one set of main files,
38 > even accross virtual hosts.
39 >
40 > Config files probably be in /etc/webapp/${P} which will be symlinked to
41 > from wherever you have the instance. This is to protect them, but I am
42 > not 100% if this will be needed with the instances.
43 >
44 > > b) ensure you've got all the dependencies. (Yuk).
45 > Easy with Gentoo. RDEPEND=... for most webapps.
46 >
47 > > c) configure application [not so optional, but in Gentoo you are
48 > > expected to do this on your own; also applies to:]
49 > see what the phpMyAdmin ebuild does for making this REALLY good.
50 >
51 > > d) install DB tables [optional, depends on which DB you're running, etc,
52 > > etc... could guess from USE flags, but who wants an app just madly
53 > > crashing around creating tables, especially when config may not be in
54 > > place and when, if an upgrade, tables all ready exist]
55 > Again, see the phpMyAdmin ebuild.
56 >
57 > > Is there a way that that can be automated too? I suspect not, without
58 > > going to something like linux-control-center or debconf or some similar
59 > > craziness]
60 > I don't know if you have played with zope-config, but expect something
61 > like that for the web application setup.
62 >
63 > --
64 > Robin Hugh Johnson
65 > E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
66 > Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
67 > ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
68 > GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85
73 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list