From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to end-of-life tree-clean old profiles/updates/ files
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 21:18:30
1 Starting from a question by Markos in #gentoo-portage about whether to
2 remove entries in profiles/updates for tree-cleaned packages...
3
4 I propose that we say, once a year, schedule a tree-cleaning of old
5 updates files. These updates files could be added to a tarball made
6 available for download. That way if they are needed to update a system
7 older than what the main tree has been tree-cleaned to. They can then be
8 manually downloaded, extracted to the normal location and then run the
9 "fixpackages" command.
10
11 The main question here is what is a reasonable length of time to keep
12 the updates actively in-tree?
13
14 -- From my experience in the forums, I think any updates older than
15 4 years should be subject to tree-cleaning.
16
17 -- Most old systems that have been updated tend to be less than that,
18 probably about 2 years.
21 This should allow a reasonable amount of time for a user to update an
22 old system.
23
24 Thoughts?
27 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>