From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for changes for the next EAPI version
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 00:48:57
1 On 18/05/16 01:44, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 18 May 2016 at 12:35, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> Yes, whilst that's a special case, it would be desirable to collaborate
4 >> with another maintainer/team/project to devise a test schedule that was
5 >> independent from the target language, if possible. But there will always
6 >> be exceptions and issues and such with these things .. :/
7 >
8 > In some of these cases, the things I'd be testing have to rely on Perl
9 > Modules *because* it has to track how those specific modules respond
10 > to the code in question.
11 >
12 > For instance, to check we're doing our version normalisation
13 > correctly, we have to use the upstream reference version of Perl's
14 > version handling code directly.
15 >
16 > *NOT* doing this results in significant problems, both in our failure
17 > to perfectly map upstreams implementation in a different language, and
18 > in our ability to keep our implementation in consistency with upstream
19 > changes.
20 >
21 > And we have already suffered this problem specifically in euscan,
22 > where the euscan project implemented the version interpretation logic
23 > manually, and did so hilariously wrong, and as a result, thinks newer
24 > versions are older versions a lot of the time, and vice versa. I've
25 > attempted my own implementation of upstreams logic *better* than I
26 > think euscan does it, but I'm trapped in the reality where I have *no*
27 > objective way of knowing if it in fact, represents upstreams logic
28 > correctly.
29 >
30 > The simplest thing to say here is "implementing it in a non-target
31 > language is often enough the wrong choice".
32 >
33 > Similarly, I've made the mistake of trying to understand and interpret
34 > ebuilds statically without using bash .... that's a road to nowhere.
35 > Even using bash is a bit tortured because I can't understand how an
36 > ebuild works without reimplementing all the EAPI parts in bash or
37 > relying on some portage version of the same ( which is extremely not
38 > easy to use outside of the portage tools ).
39 >
40 Yes, I get where you're coming from. I think many of the language and
41 language-plugin ebuilds are going to suffer from similar problems for
42 exactly the reasons you describe. It does make the prospect of a good,
43 over-arching QA/CI system quite challenging (but not impossible) to
44 achieve .. !!