From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: make system-sqlite a global USE flag
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:50:17
1 $ euse --info system-sqlite
2 global use flags (searching: system-sqlite)
3 ************************************************************
4 no matching entries found
5
6 local use flags (searching: system-sqlite)
7 ************************************************************
8 [- ] system-sqlite (mail-client/thunderbird):
9 Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite installation with secure-delete enabled
10
11 [- ] system-sqlite (net-libs/xulrunner):
12 Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite installation with secure-delete enabled
13
14 [- ] system-sqlite (www-client/chromium):
15 Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite installation with secure-delete enabled
16
17 [- ] system-sqlite (www-client/firefox):
18 Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite installation with secure-delete enabled
19
20 [- ] system-sqlite (www-client/icecat):
21 Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite installation with secure-delete enabled
22
23 [- ] system-sqlite (www-client/seamonkey):
24 Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite installation with secure-delete enabled
25
26 [- ] system-sqlite (x11-plugins/enigmail):
27 Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite installation with secure-delete enabled
28
29 The meaning is identical in all those cases, and I think the number of
30 packages may have hit the threshold for a global flag.
31
32 However, we already have a very similar global USE flag: sqlite, which
33 makes this a bit more tricky. The difference is very subtle:
34
35 IUSE="sqlite" means "the sqlite support is optional; -sqlite means no
36 sqlite support"
37
38 IUSE="system-sqlite" means "we can use the bundled sqlite or the system
39 one; -system-sqlite means we use the bundled one; both settings result
40 in sqlite support"
41
42 If we'd make system-sqlite a global USE flag, I'd suggest a description
43 like "Use the system-wide dev-db/sqlite instead of bundled copy of sqlite."
44
45 What do you think?