From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] nss_* and system users
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 03:17:40
1 On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 11:03:36PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > > However, in consultation with some
3 > > folks, it seems that what may be more desirable is to just add
4 > > users/groups to the local files/compat backends instead, and not make
5 > > any changes to the remote databases.
6 > you mean update only /etc/passwd and /etc/groups ? modifying those files
7 > directly should only happen as a fallback when all other methods fail
8 Spanky: the POSIX utilities in Linux are not capable of adding new
9 entries to non-files sources. Such is the entire reason I wrote the
10 'diradm' application - to provide as much as a I could of the POSIX
11 utils that worked against an LDAP backend. I don't know of any similar
12 utilities that work against some of the other sources, and indeed - some
13 of them are read-only - no incremental adding possible.
14
15 > > Does anyone have any strong notion of any cases where it would be
16 > > excessively bad for the package manager to try adding to, say, the
17 > > nss_nis backend in addition to the nss_files backend, or cases where
18 > > that would be a strongly desired behavior?
19 > users should be added via the normal system utilities so you dont have to care
20 > about the underlying storage
21 I believe that his concern was that POSIX implementation packaged with
22 sys-apps/shadow is only capable of writing to files.
25 Robin Hugh Johnson
26 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
27 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85