From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] nss_* and system users
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:22:50
1 On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 08:42 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Mike Kelly wrote: [Thu Jun 15 2006, 08:36:25PM CDT]
3 > > As part of my original plans for my GLEP27 implementation, I was
4 > > going to have my scripts automatically add the users requested by a
5 > > package (for example, the cron user), to all the passwd backends
6 > > listsed in /etc/nsswitch.conf. However, in consultation with some
7 > > folks, it seems that what may be more desirable is to just add
8 > > users/groups to the local files/compat backends instead, and not make
9 > > any changes to the remote databases.
10 > >
11 > > Does anyone have any strong notion of any cases where it would be
12 > > excessively bad for the package manager to try adding to, say, the
13 > > nss_nis backend in addition to the nss_files backend, or cases where
14 > > that would be a strongly desired behavior?
15 >
16 > I think it's unlikely that one would want to add an account to both
17 > files and nis/ldap, but there's no good reason that I can think of not
18 > to let the user choose. That said, I'm not exactly an uber-sysadmin.
19 > One thing that I might think would be common, though, would be to have
20 > system accounts pre-defined in ldap/nis, with the expectation that your
21 > scripts would look up the remote values and then create local accounts
22 > with those values. Anybody who actually has a clue want to chime in?
23
24 Most things *should* not to *anything* if the account exists in
25 mysql/ldap/nis/etc as the account is already present. It's just the
26 case of it *not* existing that causes the real problem.
29 > Oh, it might be a good idea to ask in gentoo-server@g.o, too.
30 >
31 > -g2boojum-
32 --