From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 23:52:42
1 Hi gents
2
3 After yet another discussion about git in the #gentoo-dev channel tonight, the
4 topic of merge commits came up for the umpteenth time.
5
6 We all seem to agree merge commits are really bad design, add clutter to the
7 log graph after a while and should be banned altogether from reaching the
8 central repository.
9
10 As of now, no policy is in place yet to keep developers from pushing merge
11 commits.
12
13 What is the correct course of action? I would very much like it to be worded in
14 a document (GLEP and/or Wiki page) so that confusion is avoided and we all are
15 on the same page on this topic.
16
17 Cheers,
20 Patrice Clement