From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unmasking packages (was Gentoo's problems)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:57:22
1 Christopher Sawtell wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Luca Barbato wrote:
3 >> Stuart Longland wrote:
4 >>> Portage itself, does take a long time to load its libraries. I'm yet to
5 >>> try Paludis (I'm one of the few MIPS devs that doesn't use it yet), but
6 >>> do hear good things about it. Perhaps some of the concepts used in
7 >>> Paludis could be applied in portage, in order to speed up performance
8 >>> when searching or querying?
9 >> I'd advise everybody to try paludis and pkgcore to see how the
10 >> alternatives are faring, I must say that I'm quite surprised by how fast
11 >> they are.
12 > Please could you reassure us that they can co-exist with portage so that one
13 > can be certain that changing to either paludis or pkgcore is not
14 > irriversable?
15
16 I did that on a completely clean box (my freshly reinstalled laptop)
17
18 emerge pkgcore paludis
19
20 fetched the paludis configuration importer
21
22 ran it
23
24 alternatively tested all of them doing random stuff for a while w/out
25 seeing any problem.
26
27 Obviously you should read the documentation and the advices.
28
29 lu
33 Luca Barbato
34