From: Philip Walls <malverian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Portage local package revisions
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:41:35
1 On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 09:42:44PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:39:26 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > -r* is an ebuild convention; upstream (exemption of older daft portage
6 > > releases) doesn't use it, as such we define it; should define it as
7 > > simple as possible without castrating it's use.
8 >
9 > So to you having to understand two slightly different comparison algorithms is simpler than one? Can't agree with that, the simplest defintion for `bar` is `see foo` if `foo` is already known.
10 >
11 > And as for the final letter in versions/revisions: If upstream sometimes prefers this naming scheme, why are you so sure that other people (users) won't prefer it?
14 I don't think we need the versioning to be this complex. All we want to
15 provide is the capability for people to have local patch levels.
16
17 As far as the "=apache-2.0.58-r2.1.3" issue not working in
18 dependencies, we can just ignore everything after the "major" revision
19 number in dependency calculation and only compare it against
20 "apache-2.0.58-r2".
21
22 I'm going to hack up a patch with floated revision numbers, but in one
23 sense I think my original patch is actually a little better: It will
24 make it obvious to ebuild developers that this is a feature they
25 shouldn't be using in gentoo-x86 tree.
26
27 It would also be a little easier to drop the "-l1" in
28 "apache-2.0.58-r2-l1" than it would be to remove certain parts of
29 "-r#.#" from a version number.
30
31 > Marius
32 > --