From: Nathaniel Grady <nate@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new config files....
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 16:34:31
1 As a user I think a nice feature would be to have emerge actually list all the files that were saved as ._cfg... with an indication of if the original was "untouched" or "modified." An example of where this would be very usefull is the pcmcia-cs package. The /etc/pcmcia/config file may be updated to include some new cards and I never touched it because config.opts is where local changes are supposed to reside. Chances are PCMCIA will work fine and I won't even bother to look to see what config files could be updated because I don't have the time to worry about it, however someting may have been changed for a very good reason (possibly change a default for security reasons or some such). Even worse is the baselayout Geert Bevin complains about below. I understand the policy and thing it is sound, but i would still like a --overwrite-untouched that saves the original config file with a ._old prefix and gives a list at the end of config files i overwrote to give me a chance to make shure i didn't do someting i didn't want to (which menas it is only overwriting config files when told by the administrator, and even then doing so very cautiousally and making backups).
2
3 just my 2 cents :)
4
5 --Nate